Our next stop was the Highland Folk Museum, with recreations of Highland buildings from the 1700s to the early 1900s. Similar to Sturbridge Village, there are costumed interpreters who explain and demonstrate life in the 1700s.
I asked why the 1700 era houses were thatch, sticks and stone, when wood was used in the US in the same time period. It's because the English took all the timber. They had exhausted their own local wood supplies by the 17th century. and turned to Highland forests to produce charcoal to melt iron ore. Lumber was also constantly required to build and maintain ships for the Royal Navy and the expanding British Empire. Combined with the Jacobite cause, I asked if the Scots had any lingering bad feelings about England, and was told that especially in the Highlands that definitely is the case.
I asked why the 1700 era houses were thatch, sticks and stone, when wood was used in the US in the same time period. It's because the English took all the timber. They had exhausted their own local wood supplies by the 17th century. and turned to Highland forests to produce charcoal to melt iron ore. Lumber was also constantly required to build and maintain ships for the Royal Navy and the expanding British Empire. Combined with the Jacobite cause, I asked if the Scots had any lingering bad feelings about England, and was told that especially in the Highlands that definitely is the case.
This entire day was spent in the rain, so our rain jackets and umbrellas came in handy. Actually, it's rained nearly every day, some days more than others, but usually in bouts of 20-30 minutes. Yesterday was pretty much an all day event, with occasional downpours. Temps are in the constant 50s. Somewhere along the way, I picked up a cold. That seems to be getting better. Looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow!
Photos here


No comments:
Post a Comment