Thoughts Become Things

Friday, October 2, 2026

The Kelpies and airline issues, September 30, 2026

 We've decided that on any further travel, we'd prefer to stay at B&Bs. It is great to be able to chat with other people and the proprietors. Hotels don't give you that opportunity. The people who run the Spindrift, our accommodations for last night,  are trying to sell it, and move to the States, specifically near Penn Yan, NY, about an hour from Rochester. I thoroughly enjoyed our short stay in this Victorian era home. 

The day started out as expected, rainy, windy, and foggy. But the weather forecasters got it right today, and as we headed toward our first stop, the rain stopped and the clouds

The Kelpies

lifted. We're heading for the Kelpies in Falkirk, 98 foot high steel horse heads to honor Scotland's horse-powered industrial heritage. They're set in a lovely park by a canal.

Today we drop the car back at the rental place. After way too many roundabouts, Ray was happy to do so. We took an Uber from the car rental to our hotel in Edinburgh.

When we got settled in our hotel room, I checked email, to find an ominous one from KLM, our carrier (through Delta). Our flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam on Friday (2 days away) had been canceled. They would try to rebook us. Try?? For 2 hours, I phoned and chatted online with KLM and Delta to resolve this. I was really surprised that Delta, which normally has fabulous customer service,  said they couldn't do anything to help, even though  the original booking had been made with them. Their suggestion was to speak with KLM. After 2+ hours, I did get an email from KLM with arrangements to fly into London on British Airways, then back to Toronto (from which we had originally flown) on Virgin Atlantic. We're not happy with seat assignments. On the transatlantic flight, we sit in the 2 middle seats of a row of 4. Delta will hear from me. And I want a refund for the premium seats we originally had.

With that situation addressed, we walked down to the Grassmarket, an area of old town Edinburgh filled with shops and restaurants, and had dinner at a brewhouse situated in a former church.

Photos here

No comments: